International Oral & Maxillofacial Day
Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Government Dental College &Hospital, Mumbai celebrated ‘International Oral & Maxillofacial day’ 13th February 2024.
1. Patient awareness seminars were conducted for dental patients in the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, This seminars aimed to increase awareness among dental patients about the services offered by the Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Department. The goal was to educate patients on the diverse range of conditions treated by oral and maxillofacial surgeons, alleviate potential anxieties, and foster better understanding and communication between patients and the department.
Welcome and Introduction: A brief introduction to the department, its team, and the seminar objectives.
Presentation: Informative presentations covering:
• The scope of oral and maxillofacial surgery, including common conditions treated (e.g., facial trauma, jaw tumors, wisdom teeth extraction, cleft lip and palate, dental implants).
• Different surgical procedures performed and their benefits.
• Importance of early diagnosis and timely intervention.
• Pre-operative and post-operative care considerations.
Interactive Q&A Session: Patients were encouraged to ask questions and clarify any doubts they had about the department, treatments, or specific procedures.
Closing Remarks: Recap of key points and resources available for further information.
Feedback and Recommendations: Attendees appreciated the clear and informative presentation, interactive format, and opportunity to ask questions.
Some suggested including visuals and patient testimonials.
2. Quiz competition was conducted for dental students : Basic Concepts in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
This quiz competition aimed to assess and enhance the knowledge of dental interns regarding core principles and procedures in oral and maxillofacial surgery. The goal was to promote active learning, friendly competition, and solidify their understanding of crucial surgical concepts.
Preparation: A list of relevant topics and potential questions was prepared based on the intern’s curriculum and learning stage.
Teams: Interns were divided into groups to encourage collaboration and discussion.
Rounds: The competition consisted of multiple rounds, each focusing on specific areas of oral and maxillofacial surgery:
Multiple Choice Questions: Testing basic knowledge and facts.
Image Identification: Recognizing clinical presentations and surgical procedures.
Open ended questions.